Y’all, today is the day we bring you something new and exciting! Coach Tammy is showing us how to make fake cupcakes using fake bake sprinkles. These little guys are so stinking cute, y’all!
These adorable fake cupcakes have become so popular, y’all! People are just eating them up (not literally, please don’t eat them, they may look real but definitely aren’t) and it’s easy to see why! In the video below, Coach Tammy is showing you exactly how to make fake cupcakes so you can try it for yourself. The fake bake sprinkles on these cupcakes are so adorable and are the perfect finishing touch! Just be careful, they can become addicting. Once you see how many cute options there are, you may find yourself with a collection to rival your ribbon stash!
How to Make Fake Cupcakes
I know that most of you are craftpraneurs who sell your fabulous handmade items. I may not say this often enough but, when you own a business, it is so important to never stop growing and adapting. I’m not saying that you should change your core brand and products but you should always have an eye out for trends.
One trend that we can’t ignore is the fake cupcake movement! I know you may be thinking; “Damon, what does this have to do with wreaths?” Well friends, not only are these faux cupcakes adorable on there own, they also make fabulous wreath attachments! Just slap a mounting square on the back and you’re ready to add it to a wreath.
Another way that wreath makers can use these cuties is to offer them for sale in their shops. Since these are smaller and less expensive, they provide an awesome opportunity for add on orders. People may come to your shop looking for a fabulous wreath, purchase one, and also see your adorable cupcakes. They can’t resist the cuteness and add them to their cart. The perfect upsell, y’all!
Fake Cupcake Tips and Tricks
Ok y’all, one thing to keep in mind is that you don’t want to waste spackle. Those little tubs only stay fresh for so long so you’ll want to use it up. Once you’ve made a few of these you will have a good idea of how much spackle you need and be able to plan accordingly. That way you will be able to use your spackle up quickly.
You also won’t want to waste your fake sprinkles. All you need to do for this is be sure to place your cupcakes on an additional surface when you add the sprinkles. Tammy uses a container lid which works great. You could also use a piece of heavy paper or wax paper. That will let you catch any stray sprinkles and then easily pour them back into your sprinkle container. Easy Peasy!
Also, when it comes to paint, start with smaller amounts and work your way up. Again, once you’ve made a few batches, you will have a good idea of how much paint to use. Until then, start with smaller paint amounts. You can always add more but you can’t take it out if the color gets too dark. You can also experiment with adding multiple colors to get just the shade of spackle you want.
How to Make Fake Cupcakes
- Start by applying hot glue to the bottom of your Styrofoam balls and placing them in your cups. Push down slightly to help them adhere and allow them to cool and dry.
- Next spoon your spackle into a large bowl. Then add the red paint to the spackle and use the rubber spatula to combine it well. Next add a little bit of burgundy paint to darken the color. Add more paint if you need to to get to the color you want.
- Now trim a tiny bit off from the tip of a piping bag and secure the tip in place. You want the tip coming out about an half inch so trim a tiny bit at a time until you get there.
- Next add your spackle into the piping bag. To do this, fold over the sides and add spackle to the bottom of the bag. Unroll the bag a little more and add more spackle. Continue this process until the bag is almost full. Then twist the end of the bag.
- Next start at the outside of the ball and pipe on a circle of spackle. Lift the tip, twist down the end of your bag and add another circle inside the first. Continue this process until the whole ball is covered. Then add a little dollop of spackle at the center.
- Now place your cupcakes on a piece of wax paper or another surface that will catch any excess sprinkles. That way you can pour them back into your container when you're done. Then sprinkle on your sprinkles or use tweezers to apply them one at a time. Gently press them down to make sure they stay in place.
- Next, sprinkle on a little bit of faux snow to the top of the cupcakes.
- Finally, move the cupcakes to a safe location and let them dry for 24 hours.
How cute are these fake cupcakes with fake bake sprinkles, y’all?! You can make these cupcakes to fit every season and holiday out there. If you can make a wreath for it, you can definitely make a cupcake for it! Whether you use them in a wreath or as stand alone decor items, these are sure to be a hit! We can’t wait for you to give them a try and let us know what you think.
Just pin this how to make fake cupcakes tutorial below to find the instructions later!
If you need any help with centerpiece-making, bow-making, wreath-making, or crafting in general, be sure to check out more of our tutorials on How to Make Wreaths.
We would love to see your beautiful summer wreaths! Please share with us over at the How To Make Wreaths Facebook Group.