Thin wreaths are becoming more and more popular, this thin patriotic wreath will definitely be a conversation starter! It’s got an Americana farmhouse vibe with a wooden star attachment and burlap mesh.
Mellie Mel from Sincerely Creative Mom shares her signature pancake wreath method for this patriotic themed wreath. She does use 6 different types of ribbon, but you can absolutely pick ribbon that fit your style and taste. Just use the same recipe.
- mesh cutter
- EZ Bow Maker
- wire cutter
- 14 inch wire frame – Dollar Tree
- 10 inch Jute Poly Mesh – RY830254 DecoExchange
- 12 inch wooden star sign – Michaels
- 2.5 inch plaid ribbon RG01055 – Wreath Supply Box, DecoExchange
- 1.5 inch Flag ribbon – RGC13047J DecoExchange
- 1.5 inch solid red ribbon – Sam’s Club
- 2.5 inch Ric Rac – RG2029A1 Decorator Crafts
- 1.5 inch heart flag ribbon – 656762 Michaels
- 1.5 inch stripe ribbon – RW8008 DecoExchange
- 12 inch pipe cleaners – Hobby Lobby
FAQs About Creating a Patriotic Pancake Wreath
How to attach a wood sign to a wreath?
Use a staple gun to attach pipe cleaners to the back of the sign. For added security, add a little hot glue.
How to make the perfect mesh ruffle?
When gathering your mesh at the center, make sure to keep that center as small and tight as possible. Once you’ve added to the twist tie on the wreath work, connect the sides together so they form a full circle shape.
Thin Patriotic Wreath
- 1 14 inch wire frame Dollar Tree
- 1 10 inch Jute Poly Mesh RY830254 DecoExchange
- 1 12 inch wooden star sign Michaels
- 1 2.5 inch plaid ribbon RG01055 Wreath Supply Box, DecoExchange
- 1 1.5 inch Flag ribbon RGC13047J DecoExchange
- 1 1.5 inch solid red ribbon Sam's Club
- 1 2.5 inch RicRac RG2029A1 Decorator Crafts
- 1 1.5 inch heart flag ribbon 656762 Michaels
- 1 1.5 inch stripe ribbon RW8008 DecoExchange
- 16 12 inch pipe cleaners Hobby Lobby
Prep ribbon tails and ribbon tails
- Cut the 2.5 inch plaid ribbon, 1.5 inch solid red ribbon, and 1.5 inch Flag ribbon into 14" strips.
- Create stacks of 3 ribbon tails of each style, keeping the plaid at the bottom and flag ribbon on the top.
- Fold in half.
- Dovetail the ends.
- Cut mesh into 20" strips
Prep wreath frame
- Add 12 pipe cleaners total – 1 at each bracket between the inner and middle wrung, and then halfway between brackets on the middle and outer wrung.
Adding ruffles and ribbon tails
- Take your mesh strips and create ruffles by gathering right at the center. Keep that center as small as you possibly can.
- Attach to the outside pipe cleaners.
- Fluff out ruffle so the ends connect.
- Add a set of ribbon tails on top of those ruffles.
- Fluff out ribbons tails, then trim excess pipe cleaner.
- Next attach mesh ruffles to the inner pipe cleaners, using the same process as the previous ruffles.
- Attach ribbon tail stack to the inner ruffles.
- Fluff out ribbon tails.
- Trim excess pipe cleaners
Attach wreath sign
- Using a staple gun, staple pipe cleaner to sign.
- Position sign and attach to wreath base using the attached pipe cleaners.
Make your bow
- Create 4" loops with your 2.5 inch Ric Rac ribbon, one loop on one side and two on the other side.
- Leave a tail on each side.
- Insert into EZ Bow maker to hold layer.
- Next, add in the 1.5 inch heart flag ribbon make the loop pattern opposite of the Ric Rac layer.
- Add one center loop with the 1.5 inch stripe ribbon
- So the final bow will have 3 loops on each side and 1 center loop.
- Secure with a pipe cleaner.
- Attach to the bottom left corner of the wreath to cover the open space.
- Repeat the process for a second bow.
- Fluff out bows and ribbon tails.
If you need any help with centerpiece-making, bow-making, wreath-making, or crafting in general, be sure to check out more of our tutorials on How to Make Wreaths.
We would love to see your beautiful summer wreaths! Please share with us over at the How To Make Wreaths Facebook Group.
Just pin this thin patriotic wreath tutorial to save the instructions for later!