A striking bow can make the difference between a wreath that sells out and one that barely sells! Join us as Coach Mel teaches us how to make a stunning black and white bow for your Christmas wreaths.
Hey, Y’all! Coach Mel from Sincerely Creative Mom has such a great eye for design, and today she’s here to show us how to make an eye-catching black and white bow for Christmas wreaths. This is one SO good that you’re going to want to make a whole bunch of them – and then change the ribbon colors and make some more!
The goal here is to learn the technique so you can use it for any design you want. But once you see how amazing it looks as a classic (and bold) black and white bow, you won’t be able to resist making it this way first!
And, if you don’t usually think of black and white for Christmas decorations, I think you’ll be surprised to see how well this non-traditional bold color scheme works for the holiday season.
Supplies Needed To Make A Christmas Black And White Bow
Here’s what you’ll need to make this gorgeous holiday bow.
How To Make Black And White Christmas Bows
Follow this tutorial to make a bow that you’ll love adding to all your holiday decor pieces!
Note: Because this ribbon has a very specific side and direction (so you can read the writing on it), we can’t loop it around and need to use a different technique.
Take your 4” ribbon and measure a 15” tail. Pinch the ribbon in the middle and cut it off the spool about 1.5” above where you pinched it.
Place it into the EZ Bow Maker at the pinch mark to hold it in place while you move on.
Take the 4” ribbon and measure another 15” tail. This time, add (2) 7” loops. Now, since we already have the other tail cut, just cut off the ribbon about 1.5” after where you pinched it to hold the 2nd loop.
Place this into the EZ Bow Maker on top of the other tail that’s sitting there. Rearrange the tails as needed so that you have one loop and one tail on each side of the bow.
Next, let’s take the 2.5” ribbon and measure a 15” tail and two slightly smaller (6”) loops on each side.
Add this layer to the EZ Bow Maker on top of the 4” ribbon layer. Pull your tails to the bottom of the bow and arrange the loops so that they go above and below the 4” ribbon loops (and you can see them all).
Take your first 1.5” ribbon and measure out one 15” tail and one 5.5” loop on each side. Place this ribbon layer in the EZ Bow Maker on top of the previous layer.
Our final layer will just have two 15” tails and a single 4” loop to be a center loop. Use your second 1.5” ribbon for this one.
Place it in the EZ Bow Maker directly on top of the previous layer.
Take two pipe cleaners and attach them together end to end so that they create an extra-long pipe cleaner.
Wrap the long pipe cleaner around the middle of your bow as you carefully pull it off of the EZ Bow Maker. Twist the pipe cleaner together in the back of the bow, then twist the bow tightly to tighten the pipe cleaner and make your bow pop.
Note: You can use this same pipe cleaner to attach your bow to your wreath or other craft.
Your bold and beautiful bow is now complete.
Make This Christmas Bow Black And White Design For Your Wreaths
I love this black and white bow! If you want a bow that will stand out compared to other bows you make, this one is it. Plus, it’s simple to make and looks incredible no matter what color combination you use.
Variety is the secret sauce that will encourage your customers to become repeat buyers. If you make all the same things, they will feel like they already have them. However, if you add some variety (and it doesn’t have to be a BIG difference), they’ll think, “oh, I don’t have that, and I need it.”
Before you go, make sure to check out some of these other popular Christmas designs:
- White Christmas Wreath Tutorial
- Christmas Snowman Wreath Tutorial
- Meet Me Under the Mistletoe Christmas Wreath
- DIY Christmas Lantern Swag
- Christmas Rocking Horse Centerpiece
If you need any help with centerpiece-making, bow-making, wreath-making, or crafting in general, be sure to check out more of our tutorials on How to Make Wreaths.
We would love to see your beautiful wreaths! Please share with us over at the How To Make Wreaths Facebook Group.
If you’re interested in more info on learning how to make wreaths or being in a community of like-minded crafters, check out our Creative Coaching Subscription Group.
Christmas Black And White Bow Design
- With your 4” ribbon, measure out a 15” tail. Pinch the ribbon in the middle and cut it off the spool about 1.5” above the pinch.Place it into the EZ Bow Maker at the pinch mark to hold it in place while you work on the next layer.
- With the same 4” ribbon, measure a 15” tail and (2) 7” loops. Cut off the ribbon about 1.5” after the 2nd loop and place this layer on top of the first layer in your EZ Bow Maker.
- Grab the 2.5” ribbon and measure a 15” tail and two 6" loops on each side.Add this layer on top of the previous layer in the EZ Bow Maker. Pull the tails towards the bottom of the bow and arrange the loops so that you can see them all.
- Next, take the first 1.5” ribbon and measure out (1) 15” tail and (1) 5.5” loop on each side. Place this ribbon layer on top of the third layer in the EZ Bow Maker.
- The final layer uses the second 1.5" ribbon and has two 15” tails and a single 4” loop as a center loop. Place it in the EZ Bow Maker directly on top of the previous layer.
- Attach two pipe cleaners together end to end so that they make an extra-long pipe cleaner.Then wrap it around the middle of your bow as you carefully pull it off of the EZ Bow Maker. Twist the pipe cleaner together in the back, then twist the bow to tighten the pipe cleaner and make your bow pop.
Just pin this stunning black and white bow tutorial to save the instructions for later!
If you’re a dog lover or know someone who is, check out our Support Dog Rescue t-shirts and click on the picture below!