Crafting a summer butterfly wreath for your front door is a great way to enjoy the beauty of the season. Making one with an oval grapevine wreath base creates a showstopper design. Here’s how to get started on crafting your own summer butterfly wreath this season!
Your entryway will pop with color when you craft this designer level front door wreath!
Summer Front Door Decor for Butterfly Fans!
If you love butterfly decor, then this could be the perfect wreath for you! It’s easy to assemble and looks great indoors or outdoors. The best part? You can customize it however you’d like by switching out colors or adding other elements. Try experimenting with different accents to make your wreath truly unique!
- 18″ Oval grapevine
- Ivy bushes
- Yellow moss curls
- Yellow wired paper butterfly
- 4″ Candy beaded ribbon
- 2.5″ Yellow jacquard ribbon
- 1.5″ Summer plaid ribbon
How to Make a Summer Butterfly Wreath
Designer Summer Butterfly Wreath
- Hot glue
- wire cutter or stem cutter
- 1 18" oval grapevine wreath
- 2 Ivy bushes
- 2 Yellow moss curls
- 2 Pink moss curls
- 1 Yellow wired paper butterfly
- 1 4" Candy beaded ribbon
- 1 2.5" Yellow jacquard ribbon
- 1 1.5" Summer plaid ribbon
- Clean up your grapevine wreath
- Add both hanging ivy. Fluff out ivy stems so when it's inserted into grapevine it creates a waterfall effect.
- Use a zip ties to secure ivy stems in place. Weave into grapevine versus wrap around the entire wreath section.
- You can create a billow to add a little depth.
- Grab the ends of the ivy and lasso it into the grapevine using a zip tie.
- This will give your wreath full coverage.
- Attach large paper butterfly right at the top between the two ivy bushes.
- Add curly moss picks. Trim excess stems with a wire cutter. Give the stem a bend and insert into grapevine.
How to make the bow
- Using your 4" ribbon, create a bow with 2 large loops on each side.
- Add the next layer of 2.5" ribbon with 2 slightly smaller loops.
- Finally add the 1.5", creating 2 slightly smaller loops.
- Use a zip tie to secure together.
- Attach to wreath.
- Trim excess zip tie tail.
- Fluff out your bow and curl in your ribbon tails.
Is the paper butterfly weatherproof?
No. You can switch out the butterfly with another butterfly wreath attachment that is more tolerant of sun, rain, or wind.
Can I use different types of ribbon, greenery, or picks?
Yes, you absolutely could customize this by replacing any of the items or even the colors. Just follow the tutorial for the general steps and make it yours!
If you need any help with centerpiece-making, bow-making, wreath-making, or crafting in general, be sure to check out more of our tutorials on How to Make Wreaths.
We would love to see your beautiful summer wreaths! Please share with us over at the How To Make Wreaths Facebook Group.
Just pin this summer butter wreath tutorial to save the instructions for later!