As a wreath-making Craftpreneur, chances are good that, at some point, you’ve included a wood sign as part of your design. We’re showing you how to use vinyl stickers to make easy DIY wood signs. This wood signs DIY project is quick and simple, and it will give you wood signs for all your wreath-making projects!
Hey, y’all! Only people who are very passionate about wreath-making can make wreaths as their profession all year long! But you know the old saying, “find a way to make money doing something you love, and you’ll never work a day in your life”?
I am lucky enough to say I have found that thing. For me, it’s wreath-making and other forms of creating. That’s how I can do it day in and day out and never get tired of it!
And no matter how many pieces of home decor I’ve made, there are always new techniques and tricks I can learn to expand my skills.
What better way is there to save on expenses AND create customized products than making our own DIY wood signs? Today’s tutorial is quick and simple. I’m going to show you how to use vinyl stickers to make DIY wooden signs that you can add to any of your wreath projects.
And, while you’re here, you might also want to learn how to make a Decoupaged Wood Christmas Sign. That’s another fun way to give you personalized signs for your holiday projects!
How To Make DIY Wood Signs For Any Occasion
I use vinyl stickers for this project. Parker designs and prints the stickers, and he does a great job. We have lots of designs you can choose from over at DecoExchange.
Here’s everything you’ll need to complete this project. I’ve even included some handy links to help you find what you need faster.
DIY Wood Sign Instructions
These wooden signs are so festive, and you can easily make different designs for various holidays or seasons. They will be amazing additions to all your wreath! Here’s how to make them.
Clear your work area so you have room to make these stickers.
Gather your wood cutout and set it to the side.
Now grab the vinyl sticker you want to use. Peel the back off of the sticker and place the sticker face down on your workspace (the sticky side should be facing up).
Take your wood circle and carefully center it over your sticker before placing it down on your sticker.
Turn your new sign over and smooth your sticker out from the center to the outside edges.
Now turn your sign over and grab a razor. The wood circles aren’t all the same size (or the exact shape, which is why Parker includes the border around the edge), so we need to trim off the excess part of the vinyl sticker.
Press the razor down as you guide it around the edge of your wood sign cutout. This will remove all of the excess sticker pieces.
That’s all you need to know to make these easy DIY wood signs!
How To Add Your Signs To Your Wreaths
Once you have your sign made and your wreath is ready, all you need to do is add your wood sign to your wreath. Here’s how to do it.
- Take 2-3 mounting squares, peel the back off of them, and stick them to different areas on the back of your sign.
- With your hot glue gun, add a line of hot glue around each mounting square as an extra layer of adhesion.
- Insert a pipe cleaner into each mounting square and twist it to secure it in place.
- Use those same pipe cleaners to attach your DIY wood sign to your wreath. Once each pipe cleaner is tightened securely, you can cut off any excess and fold the remaining ends into the back of the wreath.
Try Making DIY Wood Signs Yourself
Seasonal wreaths are hot sellers, and there’s nothing like a beautiful, cute, or punny sign to add that perfect final touch! As they say, the sign helps make the wreath. Ok, I’ve never actually heard that phrase before, but I would argue that it’s true.
Whether you sell your wreaths or make them for yourself, give this sign-making trick a try!
Don’t forget to check out these other Valentine’s Day wreath designs that we’re sure you’ll love:
- Valentine’s Day Centerpiece
- Grapevine Valentine Heart Wreath
- Valentine Love Bug Wreath
- Simple DIY Valentine Wreath Tutorial
- Deco Mesh Valentine’s Day Wreath With Poly Burlap + Wreath Sign
As always, feel free to leave us a comment below or share this post with a friend. We appreciate getting your feedback and can’t wait to provide y’all with more amazing content!
If you’re in need of any help with bow-making, wreath-making, or crafting in general, be sure to check out more of our tutorials on How to Make Wreaths.
We would love to see your holiday wreaths! Please share with us over at the How To Make Wreaths Facebook Group.
If you’re interested in more info on learning how to make wreaths, where to buy supplies, and being in a community of like-minded crafters, check out our Creative Coaching Subscription Group.
How To Make DIY Wood Signs
- You'll need room to work, so clear off some space so you can lay your sign flat.
- Have your wood cutout available but off to the side.
- Take the vinyl sticker you want to use and peel the back off of it. Then place the design side of your sticker down on the workspace.
- Carefully center your wood cutout over your sticker before placing it down on your sticker.
- Turn your sign over and smooth the sticker, pressing from the center out toward the edge.
- Now place your sign face down and grab a razor. Trim off the excess part of the vinyl sticker by pressing down on the razor as you guide it around the edge of your wood sign cutout.Your sign is complete!