American summers are all about baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and patriotic wreaths y’all! Today I’m showing you how to assemble a patriotic flag deco mesh wreath kit that is big and beautiful!
We creatives live for the seasons. We are always a season or holiday ahead of the calendar and we are always looking for new designs to go along with them. One of the longest seasons of the year is the patriotic one.
It stretches all the way from early spring, through summer, and into fall. Add an election year or a unifying event and the decor is used even more. That makes this patriotic flag deco mesh wreath a perfect addition to your store’s line up. When you have something that can be displayed so many months out of the year, it is sure to be a good seller!
Make Your Own Patriotic Flag Deco Mesh Wreath
Parker picked out all the ribbon and mesh for this project, y’all, and I think he did an amazing job! And, even if you aren’t super confident in picking out ribbon, you can’t go wrong when the colors you need have already been determined.
The other fun thing about red, white, and blue decor is that you can still customize it to suit different styles. Some people prefer the bright bold traditional shades. Others love the darker tones that give a more rustic or farmhouse feel. Whichever version you prefer, it will still be beautiful patriotic decor!
You know that we love to share creative and business tips with you whenever we can. In the video below I share some good ones. One of the things that I talk about is how to repurpose holiday wreaths. If you have holiday wreaths that don’t sell, that doesn’t mean they have to sit on a shelf until next year!
Take and Easter wreath, remove anything that is expressly Easter and make it a spring wreath. Have a Valentine’s Day wreath laying around? Take off the hearts and cupids, add in some blue ribbons or picks and you have yourself a patriotic wreath design! The more you can think outside the box with your wreaths, the better your business will be. If you want more tips like this check out our post on how to rehab boring wreaths into something amazing!
Wreath kits, wreath kits, where for art thou wreath kits?
This wreath kit, like most of the ones we make, sold out really fast. People love wreath kits and we love putting them together. You’ve to move quickly to to get your hands on the kits though. If you want to stay on top of the kit game, be sure to check back at Damon’s Wreath Kits often. And if you miss the kits, don’t worry! We always give you the recipe when we show you how to put the kit together. You can take the recipe and swap things out for supplies you have on hand which will give you a similar look!
- Take one of the 2.5" ribbons and measure a 12" tail. Twist the ribbon and add it to the bowmaker. Now make an 8" loop, twist the ribbon and add it to the bow maker then make another loop and trim off another tail that is slightly smaller than your last one.
- Next, use another 2.5" ribbon to repeat the same process but make your loops about 1/2" smaller than the last ones.
- Repeat the same process, one at a time, with the 1.5" ribbons. Then use the first 1.5" ribbon that you used to come back in and make a small center loop.
- Take two pipe cleaners and twist the ends together to make one long pipe cleaner. Remove your bow from the bow maker and use the long pipe cleaner to secure the center of the bow twisting it off at the back.
Patriotic Flag Deco Mesh Wreath Kit
- Start by cutting 10 10" strips of both kinds of mesh. Then cut 8 20" strips of both kinds of mesh.
- Now take one 10" strip of each kind of mesh. Gently roll them into curls and then make an X with them. Add the center of the X to one of the ties on the bottom rung of the wreath frame. Repeat until all the bottom ties are filled.
- Next, take a 20" strip, slightly curl in the ends and then scrunch up the center to make a ruffle. Add the ruffle to one of the ties on the top rung with the ruffle facing down. Alternate the mesh colors until all the ties are full.
- Now add a second row of ruffles but this time add them with the ruffle facing up.
- Next, add the mounting squares to the back of your sign using super glue and set them aside to dry.
- Squish the sides of your wreath a bit to give it more of an oval shape. Then fluff out your mesh.
- Once your mounting squares are dry, add a pipe cleaner to each one.
- Use the pipe cleaners on your bow to add it to the wreath frame on the bottom center then dovetail the ends of the ribbons.
- Then add your sign to the center of your wreath in the same way.
- Now choose 2 2.5" and 2 1.5" ribbons. Use the ribbon tail board to cut 5 14" strips of each ribbon. Take one 1.5" and one 2.5" ribbon tail and place one on top of the other. Fold the tails in half and pinch the center together. Attach the center pinch to a twist tie on the bottom rung of wreath frame. Repeat with the remaining ribbon tails and twist ties on the bottom row.
- Next, add your second bow to the top of the wreath and then make 6 more sets of ribbon tails and add them into the empty spaces on the top rung of the wreath.
This project can be a Memorial Day wreath, 4th of July wreath, Labor Day wreath, or an all summer long wreath! One design, so many weeks to use it! I always get excited for BBQ and beach days when I start making patriotic decor. I hope this design gets you excited for the beautiful sunny days ahead. Grab your tasty cold beverage of choice and let’s celebrate our great American traditions. Cheers, everyone!
Just pin this patriotic flag deco mesh wreath tutorial below to find the instructions later!
If you need any help with centerpiece-making, bow-making, wreath-making, or crafting in general, be sure to check out more of our tutorials on How to Make Wreaths.
We would love to see your beautiful summer wreaths! Please share with us over at the How To Make Wreaths Facebook Group.