Hey y’all! We have been getting lots of requests lately for more bow tutorials. So, today I’m making a patriotic bow for you with lots of fun red, white, and blue ribbons!
One of the things that new (and old!) wreath makers seem to struggle with the most is bows. It seems like, once you have it down, you’re good for life. But getting to that point isn’t always easy. So, in the video below I am making a patriotic bow and showing you exactly how it’s done.
In most of my videos, you are looking right at me while I teach. In this one, however, you get the over the shoulder view that is usually reserved for my coaching groups. I hope this view and detailed tutorial will help you along on your bow making journey!
How to Make a Patriotic Bow
Alright, like I said, a lot of makers seem to struggle with their bow making. So if you do, know that you are in good company! I’m hear to help you out in any way I can. We have lots of bow making tutorials that you can check out here in the blog and our Creative Coaching Group can help a lot too. I’m going to share a little secret with you that might help motivate you to perfect your bow making skills!
The Secret is Out!
First of all, you can absolutely sell your bows as stand alone items! I have sold plenty of bows on my Etsy shop and here’s why. Makers who aren’t happy with their bow making skills love to buy bows! It takes some of the pressure off of them so they can focus on the part of wreath making they love. Your regular customers also love to buy bows. They are perfect for decorating mailboxes as well as porch and garage lights. Picture your house for a minute, I think you’ll be surprised how many places you could add a beautiful bow to dress it up. Your customers can too! So, if you can make fabulous bows, get those babies on your Etsy shop and start selling them!
Another bonus to bow making is that it’s a great way to use up your ribbon scraps. Maybe scraps isn’t the right word. Because the ribbon is still beautiful, you just don’t have enough of it left to make a whole wreath. But, when you have a lot of different leftover ribbons in similar colors and styles, turning them into a bow is the perfect solution! And, as you’ll see in the video below, you don’t always have to make loops on every layer of your bows. If you only have one long strip of ribbon left on a roll, through that bad boy in your bow maker anyway! It adds another layer of tails that will bring color and variety to your bows. This method also works great for those pricey ribbons in your stash.
Making a Patriotic Bow
- Grab your EZ Bow Maker and your ribbons. Start with a 4” ribbon, measure a 10” tail, twist the ribbon and then add it to the bow maker. Then make an 8" loop, twist, add it to the bow maker. Make another loop on the other side then trim after leaving a 10” tail.
- Next, use another 4" ribbon and cut just a strip of it. Measure about 8", pinch the ribbon and then add the pinch to the bow maker.
- Now take a 2.5" ribbon and make the tails and loops just like you did in step one but make your loops slightly smaller this time.
- Repeat the same process with another 2.5" ribbon, making your loops slightly smaller again.
- Next, do the same thing with a 1.5" ribbon. And again with another 1.5" ribbon.
- Then, use another 1.5" ribbon to make two tails with one small center loop.
- Take two pipe cleaners and twist the ends together to make one long pipe cleaner. Remove your bow from the bow maker and use the long pipe cleaner to secure the center of the bow twisting it off at the back.
- Finally, dovetail the ends of your ribbon tails trimming them at different lengths.
How gorgeous is this patriotic bow?! I love the variety of ribbon designs and sizes in this bow. Because I knew I was going to sell this bow on its own, I pulled out the 4 inch ribbon and made it nice and big. If you want to learn more about using 4 inch ribbon in your projects, we have a post for that too. I promise it’s easier and more fun than you think! Also, just because this bow is all stars and stripes doesn’t mean that you can’t use the same method and same ideas any time of the year. No matter the holiday or season, you can absolutely make this fabulous bow to suit it!
Just pin this patriotic bow tutorial below to find the instructions later!
If you need any help with centerpiece-making, bow-making, wreath-making, or crafting in general, be sure to check out more of our tutorials on How to Make Wreaths.
We would love to see your beautiful summer wreaths! Please share with us over at the How To Make Wreaths Facebook Group.
If you’re a dog lover or know someone who is, check out our Support Dog Rescue t-shirts and click on the picture below!