I love learning to make new designs y’all! Don’t get me wrong, I love my standbys, but new things are fun too. Today, I’m showing you how to make a red plaid ribbon flower using a Unique in the Creek flower board. I love the way it turned out!
There are a lot of things you can do with these fabulous UITC flower boards, but I’m loving this red plaid ribbon flower design. This is the first time I’ve made this so we get to learn how to make one together. I tried learning the technique before I recorded the video but by the time I went live I’d forgotten most of what I learned. No problem though! I roll with the punches as I figure this out and that’s always entertaining, y’all. Come along for the ride with me, it’s definitely an adventure!
Red Plaid Ribbon Flower
I started this project thinking that I would need two full rolls of ribbon. It turns out that, the way I did it, I needed almost 3 rolls. If you like the way my ribbon flower came out then just roll with it. If you want to use less ribbon you can experiment with using fewer tails in different areas. I am definitely winging it in this video but I figured it out and I think it came out great!
This design is great for customers who have screen doors because it is only a couple of inches thick. That means it will fit perfectly between the two doors. For our northern friends this is a big deal! If you’re looking for another wreath design that works well for people with storm doors check out our post that teaches you how to make a pancake wreath. The pancake wreath is an adaptation of a traditional deco mesh wreath that comes out much thinner.
I use red plaid for this ribbon flower wreath but you can use any ribbon your want. You could even use a combination of different ribbons if you want. For the center of the wreath I used a leftover Christmas ornament. Now that Christmas ornaments come in every color imaginable you can probably find one to match any color scheme. You could try other items for you center too. Basically you just need something circular that is the right size. I’d love to see what else you can come up with!
Red Plaid Ribbon Flower
- Start by feeding the zip ties into the flower board. Put them through and close the zip tie, pulling them just a little bit.
- Now cut your ribbon into 72 12" strips and then trim the ends at a diagonal.
- Take two of your ribbon tails and place one on top of each other. Fold them in half and then give them a little twist. Then refold and pinch then add them to one of the zip ties on the outer edge of the board. Pull the zip tie tight then use needle nose pliers to pull it even tighter. Now fluff out your tails and repeat until each zip tie on the outer ring has been used.
- Use wire cutters to trim the zip tie ends from the outer ring.
- Continue this same method on each ring of zip ties, working one ring at a time towards the center.
- Now add another zip tie to the center row of holes and add another set of tails to each one.
- Next cut 4 6" strips of ribbon and zip tie the ends together. Trim the ends of the zip ties and use hot glue to attach your loops to the center of the flower.
- Now use hot glue to secure your ornament to the center of the flower.
- Finally, use a pipe cleaner to make a hanger on the back of your flower.
Thank you for trusting me enough to come on this journey with me y’all! We figured it out and made a beautiful ribbon flower wreath together. If you are loving the look of this design you can check out the post where I show you How to Make a Flower Wreath using the UITC Board. For that wreath I use mesh to create the flower and it’s awesome too! However you decide to make this design I hope you have a lot of fun with it!
Just pin this ribbon flower wreath tutorial below to find the instructions later!
If you need any help with centerpiece-making, bow-making, wreath-making, or crafting in general, be sure to check out more of our tutorials on How to Make Wreaths.
We would love to see your beautiful summer wreaths! Please share with us over at the How To Make Wreaths Facebook Group.