Who’s ready to learn how to make a beautiful Christmas glitter bow by hand? Coach Mel is showing you how to make a fabulous bow that is perfect for your Christmas decor.
Y’all know that I have a very close relationship with my EZ Bow Maker. I use it all the time to make the bows for my wreaths. I love it but that doesn’t mean that it’s the only way to make bows! In the video below Coach Mel is showing you how she makes her signature Christmas glitter bow by hand. And don’t worry, you won’t have to juggle an entire bow in one hand, she still uses help to hold the layers!
Christmas Glitter Bow by Hand
Like I said, there are many ways to make a fabulous bow! I’ve had great luck using the Pro Bow the Hand and my EZ Bowmaker but you don’t have to use a tool to make a successful bow. We all like to do things a little bit differently according to what works the best for us. And that’s totally fine y’all! That’s one of the reasons I love having our fabulous group of coaches available to you. You’re sure to find a bow making technique from one of us that you love!
The bow that Coach Mel makes in this video is big, beautiful, and glittery! It is perfect for decorating indoors as well as out. Mel likes to use these on lights outside of her garage as well as on her planters. You could also, of course, use this method for your wreath bows. If you love the look but are looking for something smaller, no worries! Just use the same method but make smaller tails and loops.
If you love this bow making method and would like to see more like it, take a look at our post featuring Creative Coaches Mel and Jacquie making hand bows together. They dabble with a bow maker but are mostly doing it by hand. If you want to learn about other methods we have a post for that too! We put together 6 of our favorite bow making tutorials for you to check out.
Christmas Glitter Bow by Hand
- Start with the 4.5" ribbon and measure a 15" tail and pinch the 15" mark. Make one 6.5" loop then pinch. Now twist the ribbon so the pretty part is facing forward then make another 6.5" loop.
- Measure another 15" tail and use the scissors to trim to from the spool. Now use a pipe cleaner to secure this layer of the bow and set it aside.
- Next, take your first 2.5" ribbon and repeat the same method to create 2 tails and 4 loops this time. Add that layer to the pipe cleaner on your first layer.
- Repeat with your second 2.5" ribbon creating 2 tails and 3 loops that are slightly smaller than the last layer.
- Next, repeat with the first 1.5" ribbon making 2 tails and 3 loops. Use another pipe cleaner to secure this layer of your bow.
- For the final layer use the second 1.5" ribbon to make 2 tails, 1 loop that is 3" and 2 loops that are 5". Add this to your second bunch of bow layers.
- Next add your smaller bundle of layers on top of the larger one and tie it off. Then put 2 pipe cleaners together to make one long one and twist that into your existing pipe cleaners. Trim the shorter pipe cleaners using wire cutters and leave the longer ones to attach the bow where you want it.
- Now pull down one layer of tails at a time and arrange them. Then fluff the loops by gently separating them.
- Finally, dovetail the ends of your tails and get ready to display your bow!
Alright y’all, you are all set to become bow making pros now! I know that making bows can seem a little daunting at first but all you need is a little practice. Pretty soon you will be able to make beautiful bows in your sleep! In the mean time, have fun crafting friends!
If you need any help with centerpiece-making, bow-making, wreath-making, or crafting in general, be sure to check out more of our tutorials on How to Make Wreaths.
We would love to see your beautiful summer wreaths! Please share with us over at the How To Make Wreaths Facebook Group.