Create a gorgeous custom DIY Mardi Gras centerpiece by using leftover Christmas pine greenery as a base! This is a fun, creative way to decorate your table for the holiday.
Mardi Gras balls are a huge tradition as part of the holiday. Often this means people will be required to create their own table centerpieces. Whether you are heading off on a fun Mardi Gras cruise, going to a ball, or simply want to make your home more festive, give this DIY Mardi Gras centerpiece a try!
DIY Mardi Gras Centerpiece
Well, when I was volun-told (hah) to make this centerpiece, I have to admit I wasn’t sure what it would end up looking like. I had an abundance of Christmas pines so I used those as a base.
If you have similar greenery, this is a great way to use it up. Even if you don’t, it’s likely marked way down at your local craft store, so run in and grab some, and start creating!
I know, I know. At first glance, you may be wondering why on Earth I’d use these pines to make a Mardi Gras centerpiece, but I promise it works! In fact, I think you can use this greenery all year long – watch and see how.
DIY Mardi Gras Centerpiece
- Trim the bottom of the stems to make them shorter if needed.
- Place the two pieces Christmas pines, pointing away from each other, around the miniature tree and zip tie to hold them in place.
- Trim the excess zip tie tails.
- Cut 2 pieces of each ribbon styles into 36" strips
- For each one, measure out 12" give it a pinch and twist.
- Then from that point measure out 8" give it a pinch and fold over to the first twist point.
- Repeat with the 2nd 36" inch strip of ribbon.
- Then take one loop of each ribbon design, with the loops pointing outwards, and secure together with a pipe cleaner.
- Repeat the bow making process with the remaining two strips.
- Attach both bows to the pine base on opposite sides of the miniature tree using the excess pipe cleaner.
- Next, make two more bows. Except this time you'll cut the strips into 30", so 2x of the 2.5" ribbon strips and 2x of the 1.5" ribbons strips. Create 8" tails and 8" loops for this set.
- Attach to the opposite ends of the centerpiece base using zip ties.
- Now fluff out all your bows!
- Cut the stems as needed from your greenery stems.
- Add your greenery to the base, but create a balanced look with similar looking stems.
- Secure with zip ties or glue.
- Fluff out your greenery so it looks like it's incorporated into the base.
- Customize your centerpiece to your taste. Add your picks, sprays, and ornaments to the pine base. Remember, to keep your design balanced.
- Secure attachments with glue.
That’s it! Isn’t it fun what you can do with a little creativity and some miscellaneous craft supplies? Now it’s time for you to make a Mardi Gras centerpiece of your own! 🙂