Create your own DIY Christmas centerpiece by taking holiday decorations and combining them. This is one of my favorite Christmas home decor ideas ever! Here is a step-by-step guide on how to start creating your custom centerpiece.
Hey, Y’all! With all the different types of decorations you can make this season, today we are going to focus on how to create a DIY Christmas centerpiece for holiday decorating.
These are not your ordinary everyday centerpieces—talk about the center of attention! These centerpieces are large enough to make stunning Christmas room decor pieces that start conversations and have your guests wanting one of their own!
For the Craftpreneurs reading this, these types of DIY Christmas decoration ideas can be carefully wrapped and shipped (in a big box), but they really make excellent products to sell in person at craft shows.
Watch The Video Tutorial to Learn How to Make a DIY Christmas Centerpiece:
Types of Items to Use for your DIY Centerpiece and Where to Find Them
For this type of centerpiece, you can take almost any small to medium-sized holiday decoration that you find at many stores and use it to create a new, beautiful piece.
Examples of Christmas element ideas include:
- Holiday mailbox
- Fabric-covered styrofoam Santa, elves, or other holiday figures
- Reindeer or other animals
- Christmas Tree
- Gingerbread man or woman
You can use wooden, fabric, styrofoam or metal decorations for this project – any material, really. That’s the beauty of this idea.
Additional Accent Items You’ll Need:
These elements will help complete the look for your DIY centerpiece and really add that over-the-top touch in the best way possible!
- Wrapped presents decorations
- Ornament balls
- Greenery (evergreen branches; snow-covered evergreen branches)
- Bows and ribbons
- Mini Christmas trees
- Other holiday accents
These are things you can find almost anywhere, y’all! And they are inexpensive too. Don’t buy the expensive decorations for this…keep them cheap.
Find your elements at places like:
- Dollar Store
Tools You Will Need to Create Your DIY Centerpiece Project
- You’ll need a base. You can use a styrofoam block or a board.
- A good hot glue gun will go a long way toward making your life easier when you’re creating your own centerpieces.
- Got glue sticks? Because you’re definitely going to need them. A lot of them!
- Pipe cleaners to hold your elements together while your hot glue cools and dries.
- Don’t underestimate a good pair of scissors y’all! The sharper the better (and make sure you only use them on a ribbon so they stay sharp)!!
- Wire Cutters – Wire cutters are a necessity! They’re used to cut your floral wire, flower stems and so many other things that you shouldn’t use your scissors on! I’ve found that wire cutters designed for electrical use are the best and they easily cut through thicker flower stems!
- A cutting mat is a necessity! Having a 24×36 cutting mat will have you reaping some major time-saving rewards! The mat will protect your work surface while extending the life of your rotary cutter. I even write some of my most used measurements and formulas right on my mats!
- When you’re making a crap ton of wreaths, you want to make the production process as easy as possible. Stem cutters make a world of difference.
Follow These Basic Steps to Create Your Christmas Room Decor
- Put your desired base in front of you.
- Take the main elements you want to use and arrange them how you like on your base.
- Hot glue the main elements to your base, using pipe cleaners to hold the elements together, if needed, while the glue dries.
- Add accent pieces to your centerpiece and arrange them how you like them. Attach your accent pieces either with hot glue or stems.
**The steps above give you the start to your DIY Christmas centerpiece. Come back to check out how we finish this project and make it permanent.**
Important Notes Regarding This Project:
- The hot glue is a temporary method for holding all your elements together. To make it more permanent, you will use spray foam after the hot glue is set and dry (read the directions for your hot glue to know how long that takes).
Tips For Making Your DIY Christmas Home Decor Centerpieces
Here are a few helpful tips to help you along the way as you create your own centerpieces:
- Do your spray foam on a separate table that’s covered…because once you spray that spray foam, it’s permanent and will mess up anything it lands on.
- Be choosy about your hot glue sticks…the quality of your glue sticks matters more than the gun you use.
- You can buy your plywood pre-cut or you can cut your own…since I like to save time where I can, I bought pre-cut pieces.
Where Can You Put Your Centerpieces?
These are DIY Christmas room decor pieces that stand on their own as decorations. Use them to decorate your:
- Front door
- Dining able
- Side Table
- Family Room
- Anywhere else you can think of!
As always, feel free to leave us a comment below or share this post with a friend. We appreciate getting your feedback and can’t way to provide y’all with more amazing content!
If you need any help with centerpiece-making, bow-making, wreath-making, or crafting in general, be sure to check out more of our tutorials on How to Make Wreaths.
We would love to see your beautiful centerpieces! Please share with us over at the How To Make Wreaths Facebook Group.
Finally, if you’re interested in more info on learning how to make wreaths, where to buy supplies, and being in a community of like-minded crafters, check out our Creative Coaching Subscription Group.
Use this guide to start making your own DIY Christmas centerpiece with holiday decorations you can find at almost any store. Don’t forget to come back to find out how to finish your Christmas room decor!
Love this centerpiece, Christmas is my favorite season