Y’all, I have an awesome tutorial for you today! I’m showing you how to make a patriotic dog wreath that is chock full off ribbons and mesh. To top it all off, I use an adorable patriotic dog attachment that is sure to make you smile!
I love decorating our home for summer. Today, I’m taking you along for the ride as I make a patriotic dog wreath for my own front door. This big mama jama has all the things that I love in wreaths. Lots of different ribbon, tons of fabulous mesh, and a sweet attachment that proclaims our love of pups. In the video below I show you how to put all of those elements together to make one amazing patriotic deco mesh wreath! Grab your scissors and come along for the ride.
Make Your Own Patriotic Dog Wreath
I often talk about how important it is to offer different price point items in your shop. That way you can appeal to different customers with different budgets. I love bringing you designs that are simple and inexpensive to make so that you can beef up your product line. This is not one of those wreaths. For this patriotic wreath, I pull out all of the stops! This one is for me and Parker and y’all know that I love those big and beautiful deco mesh wreaths.
This is one of those designs that will appeal to the customers who want to spend a bit more for their front door decor. It is also perfect for those who have a large door area that they need to cover. If you love the look of this wreath but are a little daunted by the length of the supply list you can always adapt the recipe. You can use fewer ribbons than I did or cut down on the variety of 10″ mesh. If you love this patriotic wreath just the way it is though, I’m showing you exactly how it’s done!
For this wreath I bring on the 4 inch ribbon. I know that some of you are a little wary of using the 4 inch, but I promise you it’s not hard. And, it adds an extra layer of depth and dimension to your wreaths. If you’re wondering about how to use 4 inch ribbon in your creations, we have a whole blog post that answers your questions!
I know there are a lot of supplies for this wreath. If you are looking to save a little bit of money on this design you could always start by making your own wreath form instead of starting with a pre-made one. It won’t save you a ton but every little bit adds up. If you want to learn how to make your own wreath frame, we have a post for that too!
- Start with the 4" ribbon, measure a 12" tail, twist the ribbon and then add it to the bow maker. Then make 2 7" loops, twisting the ribbon after each one and adding them to the bow maker. Measure about a 5" tail and trim the ribbon from the spool.
- Take your first 2.5" ribbon and repeat the same process making your loops smaller this time. Then use the next 2.5" ribbon to do the same thing.
- Grab one of your 1.5" ribbons and repeat the same process, making the loops smaller again. Now work through each of the remaining 1.5" ribbons, making the loops smaller each time. With the last 1.5" ribbon make one small loop for the center of the bow.
- Take two pipe cleaners and twist the ends together to make one long pipe cleaner. Remove your bow from the bow maker and use the long pipe cleaner to secure the center of the bow twisting it off at the back.
Patriotic Dog Wreath
- wreath form
- 21" deco mesh Window pane mesh
- 3 10" deco mesh In patriotic colors
- rotary cutter
- Start with your roll of 21" mesh. Curl in each side a bit and then scrunch toward the center to make a ruffle. Add the center of that ruffle to one of the ties on the top rung of the wreath frame.
- Then make a 10" poof and add the mesh into the next tie on the top rung of the wreath frame. Continue this process around the top rung until it is full.
- Next move to the bottom rung and repeat the same process until that rung is full but make your poofs 12" this time.
- Now cut 6 20" strips of each of the 3 10" mesh.
- Starting on the top rung, take one piece of mesh, curl in the ends and scrunch towards the center to make a ruffle. Add the center of that ruffle to one of the ties. Continue this process, alternating colors, until the whole rung is full. Then move to the bottom rung and repeat.
- Now take your attachment and add pipe cleaners to the back. You may need to staple them on or glue mounting squares to the back of it to do this.
- Using the pipe cleaners on the back of your attachment, poke them through them mesh and attach them to the left side of the wreath frame.
- Then add your bow to the opposite side of the wreath. Fluff out the wreath and dovetail the ends.
- Now cut 14" ribbon tails from the 4" ribbon and one of the 1.5" ribbons. Then cut 14" ribbon tails of one 2.5" and 2 1.5" ribbons.
- Then take one 4" and one 1.5" ribbon tail and place one on top of the other. Fold the tails in half and pinch the center together. Attach the center pinch to a twist tie on the wreath frame. Repeat with the remaining ribbon tails and every other twist tie.
- Repeat this process with the 2.5" ribbon tails and the two remaining !.5" ribbon tails. Use these to fill in the remaining twist ties.
This patriotic dog wreath may be one of my favorite designs ever. It’s so big, so colorful, and so fun! I hope you love it as much as I do. If you do you can incorporate the same techniques for other parts of the year. Once you know how to make this design you’ll be able to use the same method for any holiday season. So go grab all the ribbon and get yourself a tasty beverage. You’re about to make something amazing!
Just pin this DIY patriotic dog wreath tutorial below to find the instructions later!
CHECK OUT MORE GRAPEVINE WREATHS
If you need any help with centerpiece-making, bow-making, wreath-making, or crafting in general, be sure to check out more of our tutorials on How to Make Wreaths.
We would love to see your beautiful summer wreaths! Please share with us over at the How To Make Wreaths Facebook Group.