Are y’all ready for a fun variation to the classic 4th of July wreath? I’m showing you how to make a patriotic red bike wheel door hanger that will give your door a patriotic and rustic feel.
Summer is coming on quickly y’all. Depending on where you live, it is already starting to heat up. It’s time for BBQ, cold beverages, and patriotic decor! In the video below I show you step-by-step how to use a red bike wheel, greenery, and some red-white-and-blue ribbons to create a festive patriotic door hanger.
Making a Patriotic Red Bike Wheel
Y’all this is a quick and easy patriotic decor decor project! You’ll be able to get it done and still have time to play outside or order more crafting supplies. Do you sell your items? If so, mixing it up between simple projects and ones that are more complicated will allow you to give your customers more purchase options. Using different items for the base of your project also greatly diversifies your product line. Using a bike wheel, for example, along with your standard grape vine bases will allow you to appeal to different decor styles. It also adds credibility to your business page by showing that you are able to provide products that involve different types of skills and supplies.
In this video I also talk a bit about how to calculate your supply costs. This is so that you can price your wreaths for sale. I get asked about this topic allll the time y’all. And, I get it! You don’t want to over or under charge for your items or your time. If you want to know more about how to calculate your supply costs or how to price your wreaths, you can check out my posts for lost of helpful information.
I also show you the easiest way to attach greenery to your projects. Greenery in door decor is becoming increasingly popular y’all. This is especially true when making projects with a farmhouse or rustic look. This rustic patriotic door hanger is no exception. Deciding which greens work best for your project can feel a bit overwhelming. If you need help with this aspect of creating we also have a post discussing the secret to adding greens to your decor.
How to Make a Patriotic Bike Wheel Door Hanger
- Take the 10" poly burlap deco mesh and cut a 30" strip.
- Take out the EZ Bow Maker and ribbons.
- With the 2.5" ribbon, measure a 12" tail on the bottom right, make a 6" loop on each side and make a 7" tail on the top left.
- With a 1.5" ribbon, measure 7" tail on the top right, make a 6" loop on each side and a long tail on the bottom left.
- With the 2.5" ribbon, measure a long tail on the bottom right, make a 5.5" loop on each side and make a 7" tail on the top left.
- With the 1.5" ribbon, measure 7" tail on the top right, make a 5.5" loop on each side and a long tail on the bottom left.
- With the 2.5" ribbon, measure a 14" ribbon tail and add.
- With the last 1.5" ribbon, make a center loop.
- Take 2 pipe cleaners twist together and wrap around the center and tie nice and tight. Fluff out and arrange the bow how you like it.
- Take the 30" strip of deco mesh, curl ends and scrunch to the center and add to the back of the bow.
- Add the bow to the bike wheel spoke to the top left. Wrap and twist around the frame.
- Fluff out bow once it's attached and trim ends of the bow into dovetails.
- Trim the greenery stems. Remove stickers off the sign/attachment.
- Add zip tie mounts to the back of your sign and secure with the glue gun. Add pipe cleaners to each mount.
- Attach sign/attachment to the bike wheel.
- Add greenery stems randomly throughout the bow using the glue gun. Glue the stems into the mesh and into parts of the bow.
Y’all, this patriotic door hanger is so quick and easy! It is also compact enough to make it perfect for indoor decor. Hangers aren’t just for doors, am I right? This one would look great in an entryway or kitchen too. The 4th of July is one of our favorite holidays to celebrate and I know many people agree. Adding this red bike wheel door hanger to your decor is a great way to get in the patriotic spirit!
If you need any help with centerpiece-making, bow-making, wreath-making, or crafting in general, be sure to check out more of our tutorials on How to Make Wreaths.
We would love to see your beautiful summer wreaths! Please share with us over at the How To Make Wreaths Facebook Group.