When you start to think about selling online you can easily become overwhelmed and giving yourself excuses as to why you can’t sell on Etsy. The truth is that Etsy has made the process super simple to start your Etsy shop – but still there’s a few little tricks that you need to know about how to sell on Etsy!
How To Sell On Etsy
Before we get into those, I think it’s extremely important that you first understand what Etsy is.
Etsy is an e-commerce website that hosts thousands of shops and items from all around the world! It’s basically like an online craft show y’all. When you visit Etsy you’ll find that the site focuses on handmade gifts, craft supplies, and vintage items.
Ready to sell on Etsy? Here’s a few things you should know.
Why is Etsy the best place to start selling your handmade crafts?
Here are some of the main reasons why people choose to sell on Etsy over Shopify, Ebay, or Amazon Handmade:
- It’s easy to get started selling on Etsy. You can have your shop open on Etsy in just a few minutes. It only takes 1 item to sell and 20 cents to open your Etsy store!
- Etsy offers customer service to it’s sellers. Etsy provides customer support to help you manage their site and their customers. Having a difficult time? Just ask Etsy for help!
- Etsy has a huge market of built in customers. Etsy has almost 45 million people that show up there with their credit card in their hand ready to shop.
- People already know, like and trust Etsy. Etsy has been around for a quite a while and customers already trust the platform. They spend a lot of time and money to make their customers happy – which makes them come back over and over.
- Etsy has an international customer base. Etsy has customers all over the world and the platform makes it easy for you to reach them.
- Etsy has negotiated built in shipping prices. With shipping prices skyrocketing it’s great that Etsy has some built in options to help new businesses get started.
- Etsy helps new sellers get exposure. Etsy is in the market of making money and they know for them to make more money you must be successful.
Why should you open your shop on Etsy?
You may have heard that you should have your own website and while I agree with that and you should one day – you shouldn’t jump right into it. Why go into that expense before testing your product in front of an existing audience? Etsy is an affordable and easy way to set up your business online.
Unlike a personal web page Etsy has built in traffic and helps put your products in front of their own customers. You’ll have to spend less time and money marketing your store when using an Etsy shop. Of course it doesn’t hurt that Etsy has 44.2 million active customers as of their quarterly reports for 2019 Q3.
I do highly recommend that you purchase the URL of your business and have a goal to transition to your own website at some point in your business. Get your shop off the ground utilizing the benefits of Etsy and then invest in a website when your business has the extra income to support it.
How much does it cost to sell on Etsy?
Etsy offers sellers multiple ways to sell on their platform. The options are:
- The “standard” option that offers all of the basic tools and services
- The “plus” option for $10 a month that offers you additional resources and tools that allow you to customize your Etsy shop.
After choosing your seller option Etsy will charge you $0.20 for every new listing that you create as a listing fee, as well as 5% of the total sale of your product. Your $0.20 fee is good for 4 months or until the item sells before Etsy requires you to pay that fee again.
On top of the $0.20 listing and the 5% transaction fee you will also see a fee for processing the payment from the vendor. I usually account for about 10% of the total transaction to be paid back out in transaction fees.
7 Simple Steps to Opening Your Etsy Shop
Starting on Etsy may seem like a scary task, but there are just a few simple steps that you need to take! Here are the SEVEN basic steps to opening your Etsy shop!
- Go to Etsy.com and click on the “sell on Etsy” button at the top right corner of the screen.
- On the new page that opens locate the “Open A Shop” button and click on it
- Follow the next few instructions that Etsy gives you and answer the questions. The questions are simple ones like your country, shop language, currency and a few more.
- Choose a name for your shop. If you need help finding a business name check out Shopify’s Name Generator tool.
- Now you’ll have to list your FIRST item. It’s the only way to move forward with opening your shop.
- Once you have your first item listed Etsy will walk you through setting up your shop payment methods (how will vendors pay you).
- Last, you’ll have to set up your billing information. (How you will pay Etsy)
Congrats! Following those 7 steps now makes you an office Etsy Seller! But, of course there’s more work and shop customization to do so that you can start hearing the cha-chings.
You’ll want to fill in your about me section so your customers can get to know you. Fill in your shop policies so your customers can understand how you operate your business.
How To Hear The ChaChing On Etsy – How To Make Sales On Etsy
Creating a shop and uploading pictures aren’t enough to make your Etsy app start singing to you. You need to create a message that people will connect with and to help you stand out above your competition. What does a great message mean? It means that you’ve got a compelling bio, titles, and descriptions, quality of pictures of your products, and most importantly great customer service!
Here are four tips that you can implement today to help increase traffic to your Etsy listings
- Make sure you have inventory to sale – It’s recommended that you have at least 50 items in your shop to help attract customers. Customers tend to shy away from shops that just a few items in fear of being scammed or they feel like you aren’t a real business. The more items you have listed increases your chance to be found on SEO because each item is a searchable listing that could pop up in your customers feed.
- Keep changing things up. Keep your shop stocked with new and trending items, update your titles, photos and SEO as the seasons change.
- Focus on SEO – this is the keywords that people type in when searching for something to buy
- Write compelling product descriptions – product descriptions aren’t going to help you get found in search, but they’re often the last thing a customer sees before making the purchase. The customer can’t see or feel the product so they’re expecting the product description to make up for that gap.
Now go out there and start making those Etsy sales!
Selling on Etsy could be the first step towards your financial freedom and your next step in living your dream life. Selling on Etsy has changed my life and I hope that it helps you take you where you want to go.
If you need more help with selling on Etsy you can check out Damon’s Etsy Quick Reference Guide this is a 4 part guide with quick tips, 600 of his top used SEO keywords, and templates that you can implement into your shop today. This reference guide is $49.99 and it contains the exact items steps, tricks and tips I’ve implemented in my own Etsy shop that allowed me to sell $373,411.08 worth of product on Etsy in 2018!
Access the course by clicking here and you can even use coupon code “SEO50” to take 50% off of the Workbook’s fees and get it for $24.99 or you can join Damon’s Inner Circle Business coaching group and get access to all of our coaching, courses and content – including group calls multiple times a week where you can get your questions answered by Damon or Parker. Learn more about our group coaching by clicking here – LearnFromDamon.Com