Have you ever wondered whether you can use value mesh in your wreath designs to help you save money and turn higher profits? I’m answering that question for you as I make a Valentine wreath using cheap mesh. See how it turns out!
Hey, y’all! I told someone in one of my Facebook Lives recently that I thought cheap mesh would work for the ruffles I was doing on that particular project. Well, someone else who was watching that FB live messaged me and challenged me on that point.
I understand where that person was coming from because the cheap mesh is notorious for fraying once it’s been cut. And no one wants a wreath that looks terrible because the mesh frayed!
I also understand that for new Craftpreneurs, saving every penny you can is important in order to make ends meet until you can start to turn enough profit to afford more expensive supplies.
I decided to take that challenge and make a flower mesh wreath for Valentine’s Day with cheap mesh to see if it can be done AND look good. Will it fray? Will it be too thin to cover the board? Let’s find out.
And FYI, we’re making this wreath with a fun twist on the classic ruffle!
If you love mesh wreath designs, be sure to also check out our DIY Butterfly-Shaped Deco Mesh Wreath, Mesh Flower Wreath, and Deco Mesh Home Wreath designs.
Ok, let’s get started with our experiment and make a lovely Valentine wreath!
How To Make A V-Day Flower Wreath
I’ve seen a lot of these wreath designs sell quickly on Etsy. They have a lower materials cost, so you can price them lower and still make a good profit margin. The other advantage to them is that the process to make them is quick and simple, so you can easily stock up your inventory to cover all those sales that fly in!
- (42) 18” strips of red value mesh
- 8-inch zip ties
- Rotary mesh cutter
- Heart pick
- Staple gun (or mounting square if your heart pick is thin)
- UITC board
How To Make A Ruffle Mesh Flower Wreath
Here’s the step-by-step process of making this beautiful wreath! You could get it done in about 30 minutes and have a wreath ready to sell.
If you haven’t already, prepare your UITC board by inserting the zip ties and cutting your strips of mesh.
Note: Because value mesh is thinner than regular mesh, you will need all 8 zip ties in the middle of the board instead of the 4 we commonly have.
Take one strip of mesh, curl the ends, scrunch into the middle, and fold it in the center so the ends come together.
Then, insert the end where the fold is into one of your zip ties on the UITC board and tighten the zip tie.
Repeat the same ruffle process with the mesh as you work your way around the outside of the board.
Then, move inside one row and continue all the way around again.
Move one more row toward the middle and add ruffles all the way around the board.
Finally, move into the innermost row and make your way around the board adding ruffles.
Fluff our your ruffles.
Prepare your heart pick for the center of your wreath. Cut off the pick. If you can see an obvious circle where the pick was, you can take a sharpie of the same color and just color it in.
Use super glue to add a mounting square and then hot glue around the edges to hold it in place. Let it dry.
Then, add a pipe cleaner to your mounting square and attach it to your wreath board.
Your ruffle flower Valentine wreath is done!
Make This DIY Wreath Today!
Wouldn’t this wreath look amazing on nearly every door? I’m telling you – these types of wreaths sell well and offer good profit margins, especially when you use value mesh!
If you love this design, be sure to check out our other UITC board designs:
- Use The UITC Flower Board To Make A Mesh Flower Wreath
- Pink And White Flower Wreath
- Carrot Wreath Using UITC Board
- Cow Flower Wreath
- DIY Sunflower Wreath
If you need any help with centerpiece-making, bow-making, wreath-making, or crafting in general, be sure to check out more of our tutorials on How to Make Wreaths.
We would love to see your beautiful wreaths! Please share with us over at the How To Make Wreaths Facebook Group.
If you’re interested in more info on learning how to make wreaths or being in a community of like-minded crafters, check out our Creative Coaching Subscription Group.
UITC Mesh Flower Valentine Wreath
- Value mesh red, cut into (42) 18" strips
- zip ties
- rotary cutter
- heart pick
- staple gun
- UITC Flower Board
- Cut your mesh strips and prepare your UITC board by inserting the zip ties. Note: make sure you insert all 8 zip ties in the middle of the board instead of the 4 we commonly use because the cheap mesh is very thin.
- Take a strip of mesh and create a ruffle. Once you have your bow-tie shape ruffle, fold it in the middle so that the ends come together.
- Repeat the same ruffle process with all your strips of mesh as you work your way around the outside of the board. Repeat the same process and insert ruffles in rows all around the wreath board moving in toward the center until you fill all the zip ties with folded mesh ruffles.
- Fluff our your ruffles.
- Get ready to add your heart pick for the center of your wreath. Cut off the stem. If you can see an obvious circle where the pick was, you can take a Sharpie of the same color and just color it in.Staple your pipe cleaner to the back. Or if your pick is too thin, super glue a mounting square to the back and let dry.Attach it to your wreath board using the pipe cleaner.
Just pin this simple mesh Valentine wreath tutorial below to find the instructions later!