Hey y’all — the hustle and bustle of the holidays are upon us, and it’s time to drag those Christmas decorations out of the dusty attic! Decorating the Christmas tree is one of my favorite parts of the holidays, and I’m going to share a tutorial with you on how to make a Christmas classic—a big, beautiful Christmas tree topper bow!
How to Make A Christmas Tree Topper Bow
Let me show you how to create a professional tree topper bow in no time at all. With a bow maker (check out our how to use a Pro Bow Tutorial) and a few rolls of ribbon, we are going to create a designer Christmas tree topper bow in less than 10 minutes! I’m going to use a classic red and white striped ribbon for my bow, but you use the colors that fit your theme. That’s the great thing about ribbon; it’s so versatile!
Christmas Tree Topper Bow Supply & Tool List:
- Pro Bow the Hand Bow Maker & Fluff Box
- Floral wire
- (3) 25 yard rolls of 2.5 inch wired ribbon
DIY Christmas Tree Topper Bow Instructions:
- Set up your Pro Bow the Hand with 6 pegs on each side in Row E and your three rolls of ribbon in the accompanying spool holder.
- Cut two lengths of floral wire at 30 inches, fold in half.
- Holding all three ends of ribbon together, pull ribbons simultaneously, and fold ribbon over one inch (thumb length) creating a crease. Pinch ribbon at the fold and wrap the wire around the ribbon, approximately three times.
- Take your three ribbons and loop around the first peg on the left of your Pro Bow (design facing out), wrap the end of the ribbon around the bottom peg, wrap the top wire around bottom peg, and wrap the bottom wire around the nail of the Pro Bow several times, and finally tuck your extra wire under the Pro Bow.
- At this point, I added my second length of floral wire around the ribbon to create extra stability.
- Bring the ribbon down to the bottom peg, pinch and twist so design faces out, and loop around the first peg on the right side.
- Bring ribbon down to the bottom peg, pinch and twist ribbon, and loop around the second peg on the left.
- Repeat steps until you have made six loops on each side.
- Unwrap the wires and tie off the bow.
- Dove tail the ends of the ribbon and attach your bow to the Fluff Box.
- Starting in the center, fluff the bow from the top down by pulling your three loops with one in the center and one on each side. Repeat until the whole bow is fluffed. Adjust ribbon tails.
- To create the look of a Christmas tree topper bow with long flowing tails, cut extra lengths of ribbon according to the height of your tree.
That’s it, y’all! I know it seems complicated, but it’s really not. It just takes a little practice, and you’ll be cranking out professional-looking Christmas tree topper bows in no time! Now, go gaze upon the twinkling lights and enjoy the satisfaction of creating something beautiful.
If you need extra help with bow-making, be sure to check out our other tutorials on How to Make Wreaths. Share your Handmade bows with us over at the How To Make Wreaths Facebook Group. We’d love to see all your creations!If you are interested in more info on learning how to make wreaths, where to buy supplies, and being in a community of like-minded crafters, check out our Creative Coaching Subscription Group.