Who doesn’t love decorating with pumpkins during the fall holidays? Y’all can watch the video below to learn how to make a pumpkin door hanger. You can make this DIY pumpkin to sell, for a gift for friends or neighbors, or for yourself. I don’t know about you, but I love stopping by my friend’s homes and being welcomed by pumpkins and other fall decorations. They are just fun and festive. Take a look at how to make your own pumpkin door hanger.
How To Make A Pumpkin Door Hanger
This do-it-yourself pumpkin wreath door hanger is actually pretty easy to make. I will lay out all the steps for you, so you can quickly and easily replicate it. Plus, there’s a video to show you all the steps if you are more of a visual learner.
DIY Pumpkin Door Hanger Instructions:
- Start by using a straw wreath.
- Place a metal floral pin through the ribbon into the straw wreath to hold the ribbon down at the starting.
- Then begin wrapping the ribbon all the way around the straw wreath. End with another metal floral pin and a little bit of hot glue.
- Grab your spool of wreath fabric mesh and place a pin on the backside of the wreath to hold the mesh onto the wreath.
- Wrap the outside of the wreath with the mesh fabric, pinning it in place in the back at each section. You just go back and forth, leaving it in bunches. Keep going back and forth until you have covered the entire front of the wreath, then trim off the mesh. Go back with a few extra pieces as needed to fill in the blank spaces and add some pretty texture. Keep playing with it until it is a look you enjoy.
- You will need a foam core board to make his hat. Using a straight edge or rule, draw and measure out how big you want the top hat to be.
- Then cut it out using an X-Acto knife.
- Attach the hat with the metal floral pins. You want to make sure it’s very secured to the straw wreath.
- Cut out eyes, nose, and mouth using the foam core board.
- Brush the backsides with Gorilla glue and place them onto mesh where you want his face to appear. Hold the pieces for at least 10 seconds for the glue to start to cure.
- Make a band with a ribbon and a funky, playful bow. Use as many ribbons and designs as you like.
- Decorate the hat however you like. For the bow on the hat, I added an extra poofy bow to the backside. This keeps it looking big and full.
- Tack it on with the floral pins, so it stays in place.
- When making the bottom bow, I split the tail of the mesh ribbon. It just looks more delightful for this application. Like the other bow, you will need to use floral pins to attach it as well.
That’s it! You can make this incredible DIY pumpkin wreath in very little time. If you make a lot of wreaths, you can probably put this together in 45 minutes or less. And if you are just starting out, it might take a little bit longer. Making bows is the most challenging part for a beginner. Once you have that down, you will be set!
Share your Halloween themed wreaths with us over at the DecoExchange Facebook page. We’d love to see all your creations! If you are interested in more info on learning how to make wreaths, where to buy supplies, and being in a community of like-minded crafters, check out our Creative Coaching Subscription Group.