Bows are super important in our craft, y’all. They really take your creations to the next level. Today, Coach Mel is showing you how to make a multi-ribbon bow by hand and the results are beautiful!
Bows make all the difference in wreath making. They can take a simple grapevine wreath and make it spectacular. They can perfectly tie together all the colors and patterns in your deco mesh wreaths. Adding bows to your door hangers gives that little something extra that makes them fabulous. Learning how to make a multi-ribbon bow by hand means that you’ll be able to do all of these things! In the video below Coach Mel shows you just how it’s done!
Multi-Ribbon Bow by Hand
The bow that Coach Mel makes in this video is an everyday bow. It is perfect for adding to your wreaths or displaying on your mailbox or lanterns. Coach Mel uses some natural tones that make this bow perfect for every day decor but you don’t have to stop there! This bow can be made to fit every season and every decor style. It’s size makes it perfect for your Christmas tree or anywhere else you want to add a bit of pretty!
Y’all, I know that a lot of you are intimidated by 4″ ribbon but I’m here to tell you that there is no need to be! Coach Mel shows you just how easy it is to use and why it works so well. The 4″ gives you a larger surface area to work with and the bows it makes are so nice and full! If you want some more tips and tricks about using 4″ ribbon we have a whole post for that!
Y’all know that I love my EZ Bow Maker because it holds the layers of my bow in place while I work on the next. You don’t need a bow making tool to do that though. Coach Mel shows you how you can use a pipe cleaner as a holder. It’s easy and it’s a lot cheaper than purchasing a bow maker. That makes it perfect for those who are just starting out in the wreath biz! If you think you’d like to try out a bow maker but don’t know where to start you can check out our post about the top 3 bow making tools available!
Mulit-Ribbon Bow by Hand
- Start with your 4" ribbon and measure an 8" tail. Pinch, twist, and then make 2 6.5" loops. Measure another 8" tail and trim from the ribbon spool.
- Take a pipe cleaner and twist it around the center of your bow layer to hold it in place while you make your next layer.
- Next, take your 2.5" ribbon and repeat the process in step 1. This time measure 7" tails and 6" loops. Remove the pipe cleaner and add this layer on top of your last layer and re-secure it with the pipe cleaner.
- Next, use your first 1.5" ribbon and repeat the process in step one. Make 6" tails and 5.5" loops. Add it to your previous layers.
- Now repeat with your second 1.5" ribbon but make 4.5" tails and 4.75" loops. This is your last layer so when you add it be sure to twist your pipe cleaner nice and tight.
- Finally, dovetail the ends of your tails and separate your loops and tails to fluff your bows.
Bow making doesn’t have to be complicated y’all! You can still make amazing bows with just four types of ribbon and a pipe cleaner. And remember that this is just a basic concept, you can customize your colors, patterns, and size to work perfectly with whatever you’re creating. You can do this y’all!
If you need any help with centerpiece-making, bow-making, wreath-making, or crafting in general, be sure to check out more of our tutorials on How to Make Wreaths.
We would love to see your beautiful summer wreaths! Please share with us over at the How To Make Wreaths Facebook Group.